Wednesday 28 October 2009

Cat body language

I've been researching this as it will be important in making my cat actually act like it should. Below are 3 images I found explaining what different actions mean. I found them at http://www.messybeast.com/cat_talk2.htm This site also has a lot of information on cat's body language. I am planning on going through it all and picking out any comments that will be especially helpful.






I also found the information below at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_body_language I have included my comments in red to what I have seen from Remus.

* Disgust - Lifting and subsequent shaking of a paw or paws. The more paws, the stronger a feeling is indicated; this can sometimes be a four paw affair with each paw being lifted and shaken in turn. This is possibly related to the identical action that's displayed after stepping in water.
Remus must be rather confused then. He goes in the bath and does this at first but then runs around in the water playing.

* Aggression - The swishing or sweeping of the tail in a wide swath, mid-air or against a person means the cat is trying to get the person's attention. And if the message isn't getting through, the cat may simply leave the room.

* Contentedness - Kneading with the paws on a person or, for example, a favorite blanket or sleeping spot. Young kittens knead their mother's nipples to stimulate the feeding reflex in her so that her milk flows for the kittens to suckle on. Cats may knead for a short or extended period of time, the extended period is sometimes interpreted by people as a sign of discomfort or restlessness, but it is more likely the cat is happy. Most cats will demonstrate this for about ten minutes at the longest.
Remus does this a lot to his favourite blanket especially just before he falls asleep. He also sucks it and purrs. I can't see it being a sign of discomfort more a sign of comfort and happyness.

* Relaxation - Sprawling on the side or back and, possibly, rolling about; this may be seen, for example, when a person enters the room or stirs from their seat. The cat may display this at the same time as the person's movement.
Remus will just fall and sprawl on his side any where. He can he sat behind you in the kitchen and when you turn around he will then be sprawled. It does say its a sign of relaxation, maybe he is.

* Greeting - A particular sort of vocalization, such as a low meow or chirp, possibly with simultaneous purring.
Remus defintley does this! If I go away for a few hours or a day, I come home and he talks to me lots and purrs while doing it. Its as if he is telling me off for going, welcoming me and telling me what he's been up to all in one long meowing session. He rubs himself on me lots as well and almost falls over doing so. I know this means he is showing me that I am his and that he was attention.

* Affection - A pressing of the face or top of the head against a person's body, leaving a scent as a marking of territory.

* Submission - Upon being approached, it will fall down on its side, indicating it is not seeking attention and is unwilling to put up a fight.
Remus does this to Matt (my friend) a lot as he likes to play fight with Remus. I think he has learnt to trick Matt sometimes though as he will do this but suddenly attacking him. Its funny as soon as Matt attacks him back he will start licking him as if apologising and will surrender again.

No comments:

Post a Comment