Wednesday 21 October 2009

My Dissertation Plan

¬¬Below is my dissertation plan. The headings aren't in order at the moment though. At some point I will rearrange them.


Title - The Animation of Cats

Intro - What I am going to talk about? What each subject will cover.

My project is going to cover the different ways cats can be animated and use that information to build my project. I am going to look at how anthropomorphism can be used and has been used. I am also going to look at different types of animation for example stop-frame, traditional and 3D. Then I am going to look at how books have been changed when made into an animated film specifically looking at The Jungle Book. Then I am going to look in detail at previous animations and documentaries of cats and comparing the advantages and disadvantages of each method. For example comparing the animation, ‘Simon’s Cat’ with the much more complicated and time consuming ‘The Aristocats’. Finally I will look at real cat behaviour, breeds, body language.

Aims -

Heading - Anthropomorphism What is it? Any thoughts and ideas for my work. Comment on books/films containing Anthropomorphism.

Anthropomorphism is when a non-human creature, phenomena, element or object has human characteristics and attributes. For example an animal acting with human incentives such as the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland who is trying to not be late, he acts like a human because how he speaks, runs, dresses and has human emotions. For something to have anthropomorphism it only needs one of these examples so the White Rabbit is on the extreme end of the example. A more modest example is the cat from ‘Simon’s Cat’. Most of the time he acts like a cat, the thing that makes him have anthropomorphism is that he does small human like actions such as hitting his owner with a baseball bat or carrying a plant pot, obvious things that a real cat can’t do.

Most cultures actually use anthropomorphised animals as characters in their fables such as the Asop fables or the Just so Stories. I believe this is because animals are a big interest for children and can be an easier and more enjoyable way for them to learn to morals.

“The term derives from the combination of the Greek ἄνθρωπος (ánthrōpos), "human" and μορφή (morphē), "shape" or "form".” Wikipedia


Heading - Different types of animation
Compare them and why I would or wouldn't want to do it in each form. Including different types of backgrounds. Also, do tests in 3D and hand drawn to see which I prefer and I believe I am better at. If I feel more confident in one form than the other then it will be best to stick with that one. Also, remember my idea of possibly mixing 2 forms.

Heading - From Book to Animation
The Jungle Book comparison between the book and film.

Heading - Previous animations on cats
Looking at realistic and anthropomorpision cats. Write about positives and negatives.
Below are some examples that I could look at.

• Simon’s Cat
• Splat the Cat
• The Aristocats
• The Lion King
• Eye of the Leopard (Documentary)
• Cheetah Blood Brothers (Documentary)
• National Geographic’s The Secret Life of Cat (Documentary)

Heading - Study of Cats
How they move, look, breeds, sounds, reactions.etc.
Use books, magazines, internet, watching my cat.


Summary and Final Idea -
Tying it all together. How my research has affected my idea. If it changed it or re-inforced it. Describe my final idea.


References


Appendix

No comments:

Post a Comment