Thursday 8 April 2010

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland


I saw Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland the other day and I loved it, especially the Cheshire Cat. Although I have always been a fan of the Cheshire Cat because of how he is mysterious, mischievous, has a funny grin and the fact I'm from Chester in Cheshire so grew up seeing Cheshire Cat stuff a lot. I even used to go to a pub called The Cheshire Cat for meals!

The Cheshire Cat in this version was just amazing, he is just so stunning especially with the gorgeous blue stripes and Steven Fry's voice was so perfect. The smoke effects were also a bit of brilliant animation and made me really want to know how its done and have a go at doing it myself.
Below is a clip from the film of Alice and the Cheshire Cat so you can see just how incredible it is. I especially love how they make his eyes go bigger at certain points such as when he says "claws". Have a look.



What I thought was even more amazing is the work by the guy who designed the Cheshire Cat. I couldn't believe that he had made the image at the top using a graphics tablet!
Below is part of an interview with the artist, Michael Kutsche about the Cheshire Cat. It is well worth reading all of the interview so I have also added a link to it. I have also added an image of him doing the illustration of the Cheshire Cat on his graphics tablet. I so wish I could draw like that!

GK: In your early sketches, the Cheshire Cat is more human-like and is slight and slinky, with hot pink stripes and an unsettling, toothy grin, and your Mad Hatter wore industrial goggles and had less whimsy...

MK: Because it’s a Disney production [some of that] didn’t really have that mass appeal. It would have shocked the kids. Tim Burton is a big fan of that book, and the original illustrator. Tim had his own drawings in his London office, so he wanted to have a little bit of a classic feel, so that the animals were more like animals with a twist instead of having a far-off fantasy. Sometimes he gave like a very quick sketch that was really helpful. I would take that and make it really detailed.


http://www.timburtoncollective.com/labels/michael%20kutsche.html

Kutsche admits that he got the idea from a design by Kei Acedera and Bobby Chiu. Below is the concept art they did that inspired Kutsche's illustration. You can see that he didn't stray far from the original design.

Something a bit extra that I found is a website that sells prints of the art that Kei Acedera and Bobby Chiu did for Alice in Wonderland! (Sadly not including the one above as that is now owned by Disney).
http://www.imaginismstudios.com/store/prints?_p=1&viewall=yes


The Making of the Cheshire Cat

"The iconic shot of Alice’s first meeting with the Cheshire Cat, who’s grinning at her from his tree limb, begins with what’s similar to a storyboard sketch, using an assemblage of low-resolution character stills."


"The scene moves to animation, where the character is dropped into a low-resolution environment: the images are kept low-res to allow Imageworks’ animators to create the Cat’s performance without having a lot of data to manipulate."


"The biggest challenge is to create a realistic cat that can generate the trademark exaggerated grin. Here, the all-important hair has been added, ensuring it behaves as it should, where it should be, with the Cat now curled on his limb."


"Here, final lighting is added, along with a full-resolution environment behind the Cat, including the flora and atmosphere added for visual effect."

You can also see that the trees in the background have one of Tim Burton's trademarks... curls. As you can see the branches are curled round like he does to objects, clothes, hair.etc in his other films. I was rather surprised how scuttle he was with it in this film.
I loved that he sneaked the black and white stripes in with a quick sneak shot of the Mad Hatters underpants too! Look out for it when you see the film. My friends pointed out that I spot really odd small detail things that they never do... kinda like that even though its probably down to my Aspergers.

1 comment: