Monday 2 November 2009

The Looney Tunes

I've been looking at the Looney Tunes as they are and were a big influence for me. When I was young we used to always go to the Warner Brothers store and sit in a large model of Martin the Martian's spaceship as it contained a TV that played Looney Tune shorts. My mum would then wander off doing her shopping. I thought this was great as I didn't have to wander around town and got to watch Willie Coyote, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and all the other greats! I was devastated when the store closed and I still wish it re-opened as it was my favourite store and quite possibly always will be.

Below is a quote I found that I find quite inspirational. It's funny how it also has a bit of a jibe towards Disney as 2 of their original animators wrote a book called 'The illusion of life'.


"A small child once said to me: 'You don't draw Bugs Bunny, you draw pictures of Bugs Bunny.' That's a very profound observation because it means he thinks that the characters are alive, which, as far as I'm concerned, is true. And, I feel the same way about animation ..... Animation isn't an illusion of life. It is life."

Chuck Jones

http://www.animationusa.com/resources/aboutwb.html


Looney Tune books to look at

I especially want to look at the last book as it even includes model sheets, background art and how they actually created and made the Looney Tunes! Only problem is, its not published any more so I will have to find a used copy. The cheapest I have found so far is just over £30!

* Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies: Complete Illustrated Guide to Warner Brothers Cartoons
by Jerry Beck, Will Friedwald

* Looney Tunes: The Ultimate Visual Guide
by Jerry Beck

*Animating the Looney Tunes Way (Looney Tunes Collection)
by Tony Cervone

No comments:

Post a Comment